Chakra symbols - art from Pinterest
Our bodies have more than 100 nerve centers of which 7 are essential. These chakras -or "wheels" of energy as per the Sanskrit terminology- are located along the spine and each is linked to a color. They should preferably be unblocked to allow the smooth flow of energy up and down the body and its nerve centers. Here is a list of these 7 chakras:
1. The Muladhara or Root Chakra is located at the base of the spine, the perineum. It is associated with the functions of survival, grounding, stability, comfort, and safety. Its color is red.
2. The Svadhisthana or Sacral Chakra is located at the sacrum. It is connected to sensuality, sexuality, pleasure, creativity, and emotions. Its color is orange.
3. The Manipura or Solar Plexus Chakra is located above the navel. It impacts strength, ego, power, self-esteem, and digestion. Its color is yellow.
4. The Anahata or Heart Chakra is located in the middle of the chest. It is said to influence the functions of love, acceptance, compassion, kindness, and peace. Its color is green.
5. The Vishuddha or Throat Chakra is located at the back of the neck or the throat. It affects communication, expression, honesty, and the purification process. Its color is light blue/turquoise.
6. The Ajna or Third Eye Chakra is located between the eyebrows. It is claimed to promote intuition, visualization, imagination, and clairvoyance. Its color is indigo.
7. The Sahasrara or Crown Chakra is located on top of the head. It is coupled with the functions of knowledge, fulfillment, spirituality, and self-realization. Its colors are violet and white
An unbalanced or blocked chakra can disturb the purpose of organs, bones, and joints close to it. A bad physical posture, an unhealthy lifestyle, and/or self-destructive behavior can lead with time to unbalanced chakras. This is not to be taken lightly as it might lead to diseases and illnesses, muscular and skeletal issues, and mental health problems such as anxiety or depression. To facilitate the flow of energy up and down your spine, and keep the chakras open and unblocked, breathing and meditation exercises are recommended.
Tomorrow, I'll explore Kundalini and its connection to the chakras. Stay tuned!